Residents who have questions concerning their area's Garbage, Blue Bag or Green Cart Collection or other Waste Management inquiries are encouraged to phone the Waste Management Hotline at (902) 567-1337. Educators are available to respond to inquiries from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm Monday to Friday.
For your convenience, the Waste Management Facility on SPAR Road in Sydney is OPEN from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm Tuesday to Saturday. The Facility is CLOSED each Sunday and Monday.
Residential Curbside Collection Information
Curbside Collection Disposal Reminder:
The Solid Waste Department reminds residents tissues, masks, disinfecting wipes, disposable gloves and bathroom products (i.e. hygiene products, diapers) get dispoed of in with your regular garbage. These items do not get disposed of in blue bags or in the green cart.
Heavy Garbage Collection: Postponed until September 2020
CBRM’s Heavy Garbage Collection, postponed due to the Covid-19, pandemic will be rescheduled for September 2020. Please DO NOT place any heavy garbage out to the curb for collection until the date has been scheduled. If you have already placed materials to the curb, please remove it from the curb.
Curbside Collection Reminder
During the Covid-19 pandemic, CBRM Waste Collectors and Contractors continue to collect our garbage, blue bags and empty green carts on your area’s scheduled collection day. In an effort to protect the health and safety of our waste collectors, we remind you not to approach our collectors as they carry out their jobs. If you have questions you are encouraged to contact the Waste Management Hotline.
If Storm Watches Are In Effect?
The CBRM Solid Waste Department reminds residents the decision to cancel curbside collection is not normally made until the morning of a forecasted weather event. If you are concerned, about curbside collection taking place when there is a storm watch in effect, you can choose not to place your materials curbside.
• EXTRA garbage bags and green cart material will be collected on your area's next scheduled garbage and green cart collection day.
• Bllue bags will be collected on your area's NEXT regularly scheduled blue bag collection week.
Curbside Collection Cancellations:
If curbside collection is cancelled on your area’s regularly scheduled collection day, please remove ALL materials from the curb.
- Extra garbage bags and green cart material will be collected on your area’s next regularly scheduled collection day.
- Blue bags will be collected on your area’s NEXT regularly scheduled blue bag collection week.
Residents who have questions about curbside collection are encouraged to contact the Waste Management Hotline at (902) 567-1337.
Residents living at properties eligible for curbside collection are permitted to place a maximum of 5 regular sized clear, transparent garbage bags curbside each week. During Covid-19, TWO dark bags can be used to replace two clear, transparent garbage bag each week.
- Garbage bags placed curbside for collection should not exceed 12 kg (25 pounds).
- Each address is permitted to place a maximum of 5 garbage bags curbside each week. TWO of those 5 bags can be dark! The remaining garbage bags used MUST BE CLEAR.
- Food waste and table scraps must be placed in a green cart for disposal curbside. Garbage bags containing food waste and table scraps will be tagged and left behind uncollected for residents to sort properly.
Medical Exemption Program: Garbage Collection
The Solid Waste Department offers a medical exemption to households who may need to use more than one dark garbage bag per week for the disposal of materials related to a medical circumstance. The use of additional dark bags is for materials related to the medical condition only. Any additional garbage un-related to the household’s medical circumstance should be disposed of in clear garbage bags.
To learn more information on acquiring a medical exemption for your household, please contact the Waste Management Hotline at (902)567-1337. Please remember, to be eligible for a medical exemption, your household must be participating in CBRM’s Blue Bag and Green Cart Collection Programs.
Disposal of Used Fire Works and Sparklers:
COLD firework debris and used sparklers can be disposed of in the same garbage bag used for regular household garbage.
Please make sure the fireworks and sparklers are cold.
Disposal of Ashes and Soot
Ashes and soot from a fireplace or wood stove can be placed in the same garbage used for regular household garbage.
Residents are reminded that ashes and soot must:
- Be COLD before placing inside your transparent clear bags.
- Be securely tied and double bagged after placing ashes inside bags.
- Weigh no more than 12 kg (approximately 25 lbs) in weight.
- Not be placed curbside loose in pails, buckets or tubs.
- Not be placed inside your green cart for disposal.
Blue Bag Collection
Residents living at properties eligible for curbside collection are permitted to place an unlimited number of blue bags curbside on their area's regular blue bag collection cycle. Residents are reminded that ONLY blue, transparent bags must be used for the disposal of recyclables in CBRM. Containers & plastic materials and paper products placed in clear, transparent bags will be tagged and left behind uncollected.
- Blue Bag #1 Containers & Plastics and Blue Bag #2 Paper Products must not be mixed together in the same blue, transparent bag. These items must be disposed of in separate blue bags.
- All cans, bottles, plastic containers and packaging must be empty, clean and contain no food residue.
- Contents of each blue bag placed curbside for collection should not exceed 12 kg (25 pounds).
- Blue Bags must be clearly visible curbside. Do Not cover your blue bags with a blanket or have them placed inside a bin on your area's blue bag collection day.
- Recyclable materials must be placed inside Blue Bags for curbside collection.
The Blue Bag Collection Schedule for CBRM follows a 2 week collection rotation across the municipality. A resident can determine their area's blue bag collection schedule by:
Green Cart Collection
Residents living at properties eligible for curbside collection are reminded only one green cart will be emptied each week on your collection day.
- Sods do not get placed inside your green cart for disposal. Sods can be brought to the Leaf and Yard Drop-Off Site on SPAR Road in Sydney for disposal. Residents can drop off their leaf and yard waste from 8am to 4pm Tuesday to Saturday.
Mini Kitchen Bins: mini bins should not be placed curbside for collection. These small mini kitchen bins are recommended for indoor use only. A mini bin that becomes damaged or goes missing will not be replaced by the Solid Waste Department.
Damaged Green Carts: Contact the Waste Management Hotline at (902) 567-1337 if your green cart becomes damaged and is unuseable. Your information will be added to our Green Cart Repair/Replacement list for a staff person to visit your address. The staff person will assess your green cart to determine if the cart can be repaired or if a replacement cart is required for you civic addresses.