Garbage Collection across CBRM follows a weekly collection schedule. Residents living at properties eligible for curbside collection are permitted to place a maximum of 5 regular sized clear, transparent garbage bags curbside each week. ONE optional dark bag may be used to replace one, clear, transparent garbage bag each week.
To ensure your garbage is collected, please:
- Use only regular size clear, transparent bags for your garbage. One dark bag can be used to replace one of your clear, transparent garbage bags.
- Make sure the contents of your garbage bag weighs no more than 12 kg (25 pounds).
- Make sure there is to recyclables mixed in with your garbage.
- Make sure broken glass and other sharp items are placed inside a small box or plastic container and labeled broken glass/sharp items before placing inside your garbage bag.
- Make sure there is no food waste or soiled paper mixed in with your garbage.
- Do not use bleach or other chemicals to keep animals away from your garbage bags.
- Do not place Needles, Lancets, Syringes, Auto Injectors & Infusion sets in with your garbage materials.
- Do not place your garbage bags inside your green cart for curbside collection.
What Goes in the Garbage?
- ALL Styrofoam products
- Disposable coffee cups & lids
- Hot & cold Drinking cups
- Chip bags and cookie bags
- Plastic candy wrappers
- Used saran wrap and aluminum foil
- Disposable diapers
- Feminine hygiene products
- Tooth paste tubes
- Tooth, hair and lint brushes
- Clothing and Textiles*
- ALL gift wrap, ribbon, bows, broken jewellery & photographs
- Crayons, markers, pencils, pens, highlighters and erasers
- Used Kleenex and tissues
- Broken glass and sharp objects (must be boxed or placed in a secure container and labeled broken glass or sharp objects)
- Light bulbs
- EMPTY motor oil containers
- Small household appliances and broken toys
- Kitty litter and pet waste
- Ashes (must be cold) Please DO NOT place ashes in the green cart
*Visit www.afterwear.ca for recycling options for your used clothing and textiles
**Empty, dried paint cans and unused or unwanted paint products can be taken to any local ENVIRO-DEPOTTM. Please visit www.regeneration.ca and click on Nova Scotia
Important Garbage Collection Reminders:
Place materials used, like tissues, masks, disinfecting wipes, disposable gloves and bathroom products (i.e. hygiene products, diapers) go in with your regular garbage for disposal. These items do not get disposed of in the blue bags or in the green cart.
GARBAGE BAGS must not be placed inside your green cart for curbside collection. A green cart that contains garbage bags will be tagged and left unemptied by the collector.
Your address is permitted to place a maximum of 5 garbage bags curbside each week. Only ONE of those 5 bags can be dark! The remaining garbage bags used, MUST BE CLEAR.
If your garbage bags were not collected on your collection day, please contact the Waste Management Hotline at (902) 567-1337. Educators are available to respond to inquiries from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm Monday to Friday.