Residential Household Special Waste Program
Household Special Waste Program
CBRM's Solid Waste Department operates a permanent Residential Hazardous Waste Depot that is available to all residents of the CBRM.
CBRM's residential HSW Depot is located at 345 Gulf Crescent in Edwardsville.
Hours of Operation Schedule:
Residents can drop off Residential HHW:
- Monday to Friday: 8:30am and 4:00pm
- Saturdays: 8:30am to 3:30pm
CBRM's HHW Depot is designed to accept residential HHW materials only. Institutions, Commercial Businesses and Industries that have Hazardous Waste to dispose of, are encouraged, to contact the Waste Management Hotline at (902) 567-1337 for disposal options.
CBRM's Residential Hazardous Waste Program:
CBRM's residential hazardous waste program provides CBRM residents with an option to safely dispose of hazardous materials that must not be placed curbside for collection.
Disposal of Residential Hazardous Waste:
Residential hazardous waste includes any product that contains any of the following warnings marked on their label:
Containers still containing product should not be placed in the garbage, blue bags or green cart for disposal. Placing this type of material curbside for collection can be dangerous to collectors and staff who have to collect and handle these materials.
CBRM residents who have unwanted or unused residential hazardous waste no longer use or want are encouraged to bring them to CBRM's Residential Hazardous Waste Depot for proper handling and disposal. There is no cost to drop off residential hazardous waste material.
Materials Accepted at CBRM's Household Special Waste Depot:
||Fluorescent tubes (straight only)
||Propane Cylinders (small 1 pound cylinders only)
||Floor and furniture waxes
||Mercury containing items
Please note: latex and oil based paint may also be returned to an Enviro-Depot located in CBRM.
Return left over paint and empty paint containers to any ENVIRO-DEPOTTM free of charge. The Enviro-Depots located in CBRM include:
|Glace Bay Recycling Ltd.
||204 Reserve Street, Glace Bay
|New Waterford Recyclers
||5559 UNion Highway, River Ryan
|Keltic Recycling Inc.
||434 Keltic Drive, Sydney River
|North Sydney Recycling Ltd.
||66 Memorial Drive, North Sydney
|Triple B Recycler
||448 Prince Street, Sydney
|Whitney Pier Enviro-Depot
||885 Victoria Road, Sydney
Residents can also return certain batteries to participating local retailers. For a list of retailers in CBRM please visit www.call2recycle.ca
Materials NOT ACCEPTED at CBRM's Residential Hazardous Waste Depot:
|ALL Petroleum products
||Commercial, Inudstrial or Institutional waste
||Explosives including ammunition and fireworks
Residents are encouraged to contact the Waste Management Hotline at (902) 567-1337 if they require disposal options for materials not accepted at CBRM's Residential HHW Depot
Guidelines for Disposing of Residential Hazardous Waste materials:
- Contents should be kept in the original container.
- If the container is old and damaged, transfer contents to a safe container and label the new container so contents can be correctly identified. When possible, save the original container so you can take it with you to the HHW depot.
- Do not mix different materials/chemicals in the same container.
- Place all items inside a box when bringing multiple items to the Residential HHW Depot. This will make it easier to handle when transporting them to the Residential HHW Depot.
- Do not dispose of residential HHW materials in the garbage or pour contents of container down the drain, storm sewers or on the ground. Bring these items to the Residential HHW Depot.
- When you arrive at the CBRM's Residential Hazardous Waste Deport, located on the property of 345 Gulf Crescent in the Sydport Industrial Park, please report to the main office.