Curbside Collection Reminders
- All food waste and table scraps must be placed in a green cart for curbside disposal. Garbage bags containing food waste and table scraps will be tagged and left behind uncollected for residents to properly sort.
- Garbage or Blue Bags must not be placed inside green carts for collection. A green cart containing Garbage or Blue Bags will be tagged and left unemptied by the collector.
- Sods, soil, sand or rocks must not be placed inside your green cart for collection. Green carts containing sods, soil, sand or rocks will be tagged and left unemptied by the collector.
- Blue Bags must be visible curbside on your area's collection day. Please do not cover blue bags with a blanket or have them placed inside a bin or container.
- Tree branches and limbs should not be sticking out of your green cart. Lids must be closed completely for emptying to occur.
Does your green cart look like this when you place it curbside for collection?
If so, your green cart will be tagged and left uncollected by your area’s municipal curbside collector. A collector is unable to tip and empty green carts that contain too much leaf and yard material.
Green Cart Collection Reminders:
- Please do not overload your green cart with trees and branches. The lid of your green cart must be closed for emptying to take place. If you have a large amount of leaf and yard waste to dispose of, you can bring it to one of the Solid Waste Department’s Seasonal Leaf and Yard Drop of Sites open one day a week in North Sydney, New Waterford or Glace Bay.
- Please make sure the serial number on the front of your green cart is facing the road/street.
- Only one green cart per civic address will be emptied on collection day.
- Sods are not accepted in the green cart for collection. Sods must be taken to the Waste Management Facility on Spar Road in Sydney for disposal.
- Lids of green carts must be closed completely for emptying to occur.
Residents who have questions are encouraged to contact the Waste Management Hotline at (902) 567-1337. Educators are available to respond to inquiries from 8:30am to 4:00pm Monday to Friday.