Rodent Prevention Helpful Hints and Tips
Rodent Proof Property
- Avoid leaving pet food bowls outside for long periods of time. Food bowls should be removed when your pet has finished eating. Try not to leave food outside overnight.
- Avoid leaving pet water bowls out overnight. At the end of each day when your pet is taken in for the night, you are encouraged to take in water bowls.
- Wood piles should be kept a distance from your home.
- Scan your property for possible areas where rats may hide or seek out shelter. Get rid of or move objects that may make it easy for rodents to find shelter. If these objects are something you can’t eliminate move them to an area that is not close to your home.
Rodent Proof Garbage Containers, Cans or Bins
Holes, cracks, or small openings in wooden bins are an easy way for rodents to get inside your garbage container or garbage bin. Regularly inspect these containers for damage.
- Make sure garbage containers are secure. Keep the lids tightly closed when not in use.
- Frequently check around garbage containers or boxes to make sure there are no new holes, cracks, or small openings that could make it easier for rodents to get inside.
- Avoid storing garbage containers near structures such as stairs or wood piles. These structures may make it easier for rodents to get inside.
Rodent Proof Green Cart
Holes, cracks, or missing vents in your green cart is an easy way for rodents to get inside your green cart. Regularly inspect these containers for damage.
- Place your green cart out for curbside collection each week even if you only have a small amount of food waste stored inside your cart for disposal.
- Rodents are attracted to food. Placing your cart out for collection every week for emptying reduces the length of time food is left inside the cart decomposing.
- Avoid storing your green cart near structures such as stairs or wood piles. These structures provide an easy way for rodents to gain access to the green cart.
- Regularly inspect your green cart. Look around vents and near wheels for holes, bite marks, and/or scrapes.
******If you notice your green cart is damaged such as holes or openings near the bottom of your green cart, vents are missing, or there are small openings, please contact the waste management hotline at (902)567-1337 to report green cart damage.******
Secure your Garbage Containers and Green Cart
- Make sure any containers you use for storing garbage outside is secure. Keep lids or tops tightly closed when not in use.
- Make sure your green cart is always secure when not in use. Keep cart standing upright and make sure the lid remains closed when not in use.
- Inspect outside garbage containers or boxes regularly to make sure there are no holes, cracks, or openings for rodents to get inside.
- Inspect your green cart regularly. Check near the wheels and vents to make sure there are no new holes or cracks. Check to make sure vents do not contain small openings or have gone missing.
Green Cart Maintenance
- Regularly rinse out your green cart following collection to reduce odors.
- Line your green carts with newsprint or boxboard to reduce the chance of food waste sticking or freezing inside the cart. It is normal for some wet or moist food waste to remain inside green cart following collection.