safety tips for heavy garbage
Heavy Garbage Safety Reminders
It is a resident's responsibility to make sure their heavy garbage does not cause a hazard or safety issue.
Cape Breton Regional Fire & Emergency Service
Fire Prevention Division
The heavy garbage safety tips located below have been developed by the Fire Prevention Division of the Cape Breton Regional Fire and Emergency Service. Please keep these tips in mind when placing your heavy garbage curbside.
Curbside Heavy Garbage Safety Tips:
- The 2023 heavy garbage collection starts on Monday, June 26. Residents should avoid placing heavy garbage to the curb, until the weekend of June 23-25.
- Do not place heavy garbage against your home or outbuildings. Make sure there is a safe distance between your heavy garbage pile and your home and outbuildings.
- Make sure there is a safe distance between your heavy garbage pile and your neighbor’s property.
- Do not place hazardous waste, propane tanks, paint, or other flammable liquids in your heavy garbage pile. There are safe, alternative disposal options for these products. Contact the Hotline (902) 567-1337 for disposal information.
- Do not hide hazardous materials, flammable liquids or dangerous goods in your heavy garbage. This poses a risk to your property, your neighbor’s property, pedestrians, collectors and possible Emergency Responders.
- If you observe a fire in a heavy garbage pile, call 911 immediately.