Blue Bag Collection
Blue Bag Collection follows a two week collection rotation across CBRM. Properties eligible for curbside collection receive blue bag collection every second week. A resident can determine which week represents their area's blue bag collection schedule the following ways:
Blue Bag material is sorted into two streams in CBRM. This means residents are required to separate their recyclables and paper products into two separate blue bags before placing curbside for collection. Blue Bag #1 is used for Containers and Plastics while Blue Bag #2 is used for Paper Products. Residents are reminded that only blue transparent bags must be used to dispose of their recyclables. Please remember blue bags must be clearly visible curbside on your area's collection day.
What Goes in Blue Bag #1 and Blue Bag #2
The following items can be placed in your Blue Bag #1
Containers & Plastics
- Juice cartons*
- Beer/wine & liquor bottles*
- Pop & water bottles*
- Glass bottles & jars
- Aluminum/tin/steel cans
- Aluminum pie plates & trays
- Milk (cartons, jugs & bags)
All Plastic Containers & Plastic Packaging including:
- Cookie & sweet trays
- Plastic bottles, jars & containers
- Shampoo & conditioner bottles
- Empty Cleaning bottles (remove spray nozzles)
- Empty plastic laundry detergent jugs (no boxes)
- Yogurt & pudding containers
- Empty plastic bags (bread, grocery & shopping bags)
Items marked with a * can also be returned to any ENVIRO-DEPOTTM in CBRM for a partial refund of the deposit paid. For a list of Enviro-Depots in CBRM please visit http://putwasteinitsplace.ca/envirodepot.asp
Preparing Materials for Blue Bag #1:
- All plastic containers and packaging must be empty, clean and contain no food residue.
- The contents of your Blue Bag used for containers and plastics should weigh no more than 12 kg (25 pounds).
- Plastic containers and packaging must be placed in blue transparent blue bags.
- All beverage containers must be rinsed with caps removed.
- All milk cartons are placed inside Blue Bag #1 along with your other containers and plastics.
- Labels do not have to be removed from cans, containers or bottles.
Please make sure:
- There are NO paper products mixed in with your blue bag used for containers and plastics.
- There are NO Needles, Lancets, Syringes, Auto Injectors & Infusion sets mixed in with your containers and plastics blue bag.
- There is NO food waste mixed in in with your containers and plastics.
- There is NO household garbage mixed in with your containers and plastics.
- There is NO Household Special Waste materials mixed in with your containers and plastics.
The following items can be placed in Blue Bag #2
- Paper egg cartons
- Phone books
- Paper (including shredded paper)
- Boxboard (cereal, shoe & tissue boxes)
- Pizza boxes (no food residue)*
- Envelopes (including plastic windows)
- File folders
- Flyers, magazines and catalogues
- Glossy flyers and paper
- Letter, office and scribbler paper
- Soft covered books
- Hard cover books (covers removed)**
- Paper towel cores and toilet paper cores
- Corrugated cardboard (flattened, bundled and tied. Bundles must be no greater than 2 feet x 3 feet x 8 inches in size)
- Paper carry out trays
- Paper bags
* Soiled pizza boxes can be placed inside your green cart for disposal.
** Hard covers must be removed and placed in the regular garbage
Preparing materials for Blue Bag #2
- Paper products must be clean and dry and contain no food residue.
- Staples do not have to be removed from paper.
- Paper clips should be removed from paper before placing in the blue bag.
- Milk and juice cartons must be disposed of in the blue bag used for containers and plastics along with your other containers and plastics.
- Cardboard not placed inside your blue bag must be flattened, bundled and tied. Bundles must be no greater than 2 feet x 3 feet x 8 inches in size.
Please make sure:
- There are NO containers and plastics mixed in with your blue bag used for paper products.
- There are NO Needles, Lancets, Syringes, Auto Injectors & Infusion sets mixed in with your paper products blue bag.
- There is NO Glass items mixed in with your paper products blue bag.
- There is NO food waste mixed in in with your paper products.
- There is NO household garbage mixed in with your paper products.
- There is NO Hazardous Waste materials mixed in with your paper products.
Important Blue Bag Collection Reminders:
- Blue Bags must not be stored inside Green Carts for Curbside Collection. Green Carts containing Blue Bags will be tagged and left unemptied by the collector.
- Do not tie your blue bags together for collection.
- If your blue bags are missed on your area's scheduled blue bag collection week, please contact the Waste Management Hotline at (902) 567-1337.